Moisture, dust, and disregard for maintenance can degrade your firearm’s performance a lot quicker than you think. Storage that can protect your gun from the elements will help maintain its condition and reliable operation. Water and dust can often get to your firearms even when you think they're protected.
So follow our tips to guarantee your guns stay in good condition - whether you’re traveling in the rain, or suffering a house flood - hell, with the right case you can even go swimming with the damn thing (why you’d do that is another matter).
Let’s face it - we can’t always have sunny days for hunting trips, or perfect humidity when we go to the range.
We can’t control the elements. But we can control the conditions in which we store and transport our guns.
A high-quality, waterproof gun case is not an expense. It’s an INVESTMENT.
The best gun case will have the following factors:
- A hard, crush-proof outer shell that can’t be easily breached
- A soft foam that absorbs the shock of any collisions
- Storage slots for your firearms and accessories like extra clips, ear protection, etc.
- Waterproof and dustproof seals that won't degrade
- Moisture absorption features, like a desiccant
- The ability to withstand differences in atmospheric pressure, temperature, and other environmental variables
- Secure locking so that nobody can access your guns without your knowledge or permission.
The phrases “waterproof” and “dustproof” are largely meaningless. These phrases were invented by marketing people to sell tupperware and watches for kids. They are phrases that hold no technical weight.
When we’re talking about gun cases, you need to look for the IP (Ingress Protection) rating. This is the internationally accepted measure of protection against elements or objects that can compromise the product - in this case, the dust particles, and moisture.
The first figure in an IP rating indicates resistance to solid materials, like dust. It measures on a scale of 0 (being the lowest) to 6 being the most resistant to dust ingress.
The second figure indicates resistance to water in every form, from condensation to splashing, to immersion. It’s measured on a scale of 0 to 8.
Using the Underwater Kinetics D-Tap 2 Hard Case for 2 pistols as an example, this case has a rating of IP67. The first figure, 6, denotes that this case has the highest possible resistance to dust and micro debris.
The second figure, the rating of 7, means that this case can be fully immersed in water up to a depth of 1m, and remain waterproof. Moisture and environmental humidity will never affect the content of this case.
Rust is the natural enemy of guns. It’s not just something that causes ugly wear and tear. Rust can compromise the safety of your gun by making it unreliable. Firing a rusty gun can cause a pressure explosion.
Rust is also sneaky. By the time you notice rust on the surface of a gun, chances are it’s already on the inside. Your gun may appear rust-free on the outside but already be rusting internally.
Three factors can cause your gun to rust:
- Exposure to high humidity environments
- Exposure to water
- Using corrosive ammunition
You can prevent rust by storing firearms in a gun case or a gun safe that protects against moisture. You should regularly and thoroughly clean your guns. We have a helpful guide on how rust forms on your gun, which includes how to remove rust, and how to prevent it from happening in the first place.
Rust is less of a problem in stainless steel guns and components. What you gain in rust resistance you lose in the metal being slightly softer and more prone to dust and debris.
As with any firearm, the continuous application of oils and lubricants without proper cleaning causes residue build-up. This residue is a magnet for dust, dirt, and micro-debris that can cause your gun to gum up. Allowing this buildup can also cause pitting and rusting.
At Underwater Kinetics, we’ve built our reputation in the diving industry. We know what it takes to keep water at bay. We’ve designed dozens of products to resist the ingress of water to places that it’s not supposed to go, under high pressure and extreme temperatures.
Our range of pistol and revolver gun cases provide different configurations depending on the number of guns you own and the gear you travel with. Whatever case you choose, know that you're getting the highest quality.
Our gun cases feature:
- Tough ABS hard case exterior to shield contents from shock and impact
- Pressure equalization valve allows easy opening after changes in altitude or temperature
- Exclusive blue silicone O-ring seals that retain shape better than competitors for longer-lasting protection from water, dust, and other contaminants
- 3 layers of foam padding: shock-absorbing convolute foam and a rigid cross-link foam to keep contents in place
- IP67 - dustproof and waterproof
- TSA approved/complaint
- 2x Two 20 g desiccant cartridges included for rust defense
- Padlock attachment points
Superior hard gun cases can add years, even decades to the longevity of your firearm. With careful maintenance, responsible storage, and good habits, you will be spending far less on parts for your gun as the years go by.
We know how to engineer the optimum storage environment that offers maximum protection from even the most extreme elements - so feel free to use us. We’re always happy to answer any queries from fellow gun owners about any aspect of responsible gun storage. Drop us a line here and let’s talk about the best way to protect your guns.